HISTORIC MARKET STREET
* * *
Historic Market Street dates back to the late 1700’s and the original days of the fort. Today it is lined with historic buildings and many of the Island’s city services. The following list is of various Market Street buildings, in order, leading away from Marquette Park and the fort.
The Island branch of the US Post Office is open year round. Stamps are available here, and the Senior Patrol Leaders visit daily to drop off and pick up mail for the Barracks. If you’d like something mailed, make sure it is stamped and drop it in the box near the Barracks phone.
Robert Stuart House
Robert Stuart was a manager for John Jacob Astor’s American Fur Company. This house was built in 1817, and the Stuarts lived here until 1837. It then served as the Island’s first hotel before becoming the Stuart House City Museum in 1941. It represents an upper class home of the 1880’s. An Admission is charged.
The Police Department, City Hall, and the Fire Department are all housed in the old Mackinac County Courthouse, built in 1834. During the summer, there are about a dozen officers on the Island.
The Mackinac Island Medical Center is well-equipped. It is well-staffed with medical personnel and emergency vehicles. The critical cases are sent to the mainland. It is located just past Biddle House.